The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Kigali is responsible for the planning, implementation and monitoring of bilateral development cooperation between the Netherlands and Rwanda. The overall objective of Dutch development cooperation with Rwanda is to contribute to poverty reduction, with a focus on food security, access to quality justice and water resource management.
The Embassy is implementing a substantial program to improve food security and nutrition, with an emphasis on the local level, in which the development of the agricultural sector is addressed from a value chain perspective. Post-harvest issues, including trading and processing, good agricultural practices and improved inputs, and a stronger role for stakeholders of the private sector and knowledge institutions are key elements of this approach.
The Embassy is inviting applications for the position of Policy Officer for rural economic development as part of the Food Security Team.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Policy Officer for Rural Economic Development shall:
- Participate in the Sector Working Group on Decentralisation and its thematic subgroup on Local Economic Development. Assist the Private Sector Development sector working group, for which the Netherlands is currently lead Development Partner.
- Monitor and analyse developments in the area of rural economic development (local governance, agribusiness, value chains) and translate these into proposals for actions to be taken by the Embassy.
- Plan, monitor and analyse Embassy support to programs in rural economic development and participate in the dialogue around these programs
- Engage with relevant stakeholders at the local level.
a)Education: Master degree, preferably in Agricultural Economics
- At least five years of work experience in the field of rural economic development;
- Proven agricultural development and agribusiness orientation;
- Knowledge of Rwandan institutions and policies;
- Experience with project preparation and project management, preferably in the wider context of basket funds and SWAPs.
c) Other requirements
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Kinyarwanda; professional knowledge of written and spoken French will be an added value;
- Good communication skills;
- Interest and ability to work in teams;
- Show initiative and flexibility;
- Advanced analytical skills.
The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands encourages both women and men to apply. Starting date and salary according to agreement. Two-year contract offered, with possibility of extension.
- Cover letter marked `Policy Officer for Local Economic Development´.
- Updated Curriculum Vitae.
- Names and contact uetails of at least two references.
- The applicant should send three copies of the full application to the Embassy, and clearly mark `Policy Officer for Local Economic Development´ on the envelope.
- Diplomas and transcripts of records are not to be included in the application at this stage. Candidates called for interview will be asked to submit required documentation.
- Candidates who have responded to the vacancy announcement published in March are requested not to respond again.
The application shall be submitted to the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Kigali.
Visitor´s address: Boulevard de l´Umuganda 1.
Postal address: P.O. Box 6613
Submission deadline: 27 July 2012
Preselected candidates will be contacted before 10 August.