Country of assignment and location: South Sudan, Juba
Project / Field of activity
GIZ supports the South Sudanese Police (SSPS) to establish and run their radio communications network. Providing advice and technical support to the SSPS ICT unit, the projects’ focus is now on a workshop and training center that has been set up to maintain equipment and train and develop a nucleus team of police officers specialized in communications.
- You will be deployed in the fields of RF communications and maintenance, as well as training.
- In a team of technicians employed by GIZ, you will advise and train the newly formed Police ICT Department.
- You will be responsible for the professional installation of and provide training in the radio equipment and repair processes.
- This includes the programming, tuning, installation, maintenance and repair of HF-Codan base and mobile facilities; HF-Codan-SCS-PTC-Pro radio data transmission systems; Motorola VHF repeaters, VHF mobile and VHF portable radio installations and computers, as well as the installation and repair of photovoltaic systems and the training of SSPS technicians to perform these tasks.
You are an RF/communications engineer/technician with expert knowledge in your field and profound knowledge in:
- HF and VHF voice and data-transmission systems, repeaters and their programming
- HF and VHF electrical measurement, fault diagnosis and troubleshooting
- Professional use of spectrum analyzers, mobile phone testers, oscilloscope etc. particular SSB operating mode as well as HF and VHF antenna technology
- Technical documentation and reporting
- Experiences in training and advice of trainees are expected.
- You are able to work in challenging situations, have experience in working in a multicultural environment and you are fluent in English.
- Juba-Arabic, Arabic or any South Sudanese Languages are an asset.
- Experience with communication system applications design for large radio networks, particularly of authorities with security tasks such as police, is an asset.
- Expertise in TCP/IT networking; hybrid communication networks; TETRA; VSAT/satellite broadcast; microwave links; or GSM is an asset.
Duration: ASAP until March 2013. Extension possible.
Application Deadline: 15th August 2012