Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a nonprofit international health organization composed of more than 2,000 people from 73 nations.
Job Title: Associate Director, Laboratory Systems & Services
Job ID: 13-5295
Center/Office: CLM – General
The Prevention Organizational Systems AIDS Care and Treatment Project (Pro-ACT) is a USAID-funded project managed by Management Sciences for Health (MSH). The goal of the project is to build the capacity of Nigeria’s public/private institutions and communities to strengthen sustainable systems for HIV/AIDS and TB service delivery.
- The objective of the ADLSS position is to provide overall leadership and management of the project laboratory systems and services ensuring coordinated implementation with the clinical, M&E, HSS and Community HIV/AIDS program to achieve project goals.
- The ADLSS shall be a big-picture strategic level senior position that effectively engages with government and partners to articulate issues affecting the lab system in Nigeria and sharing evidence to inform policy and practice.
- This position shall advance at all levels the synergy between the laboratory, clinical and other disciplines for timely quality care of the people.
- The ADLSS will continuously inspire others in the directorate to be creative in building effective and sustainable laboratory systems and services.
- Shall coach, supervise and appraise Senior Advisor and Advisors to provide coordinated quality technical assistance to field lab staff and implementing partners.
- Shall be a member of the Project Director’s Forum and the Project Management Team that is responsible for overall project management and performance
- Lead the development of strategic direction for the project Laboratory Systems and Services and derivation of operational plans
- Align human resources to the objectives and units of the laboratory directorate; i.e., general laboratory systems, quality assurance, and laboratory services.
- While matrix management is emphasized such that the 3 laboratory staff at the head office interact in the implementation of cross-unit activities, the ADLSS shall be responsible for leading and managing one of the 3 directorate units outlined in #2 above.
- Coordinate the work of the directorate to ensure that project plans, HIV/AIDS services and technical field operations are carried out consistent with the national and international standards.
- Design and implement a capacity building plan for project staff and the health workforce at supported facilities in provision of quality clinical HIV/AIDS care.
- Work with M&E directorate to ensure timely reporting and achievement of lab indicators in the PMP.
- Document best practices and publish
- The suitable candidate will have a first degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences and a post graduate qualification in related sciences. Current registration with the Association of Medical Laboratory Sciences Council of Nigeria (AMLSCN) and holding a practicing license is mandatory.
- He/she will have at least 5 years technical working experience in an automated HIV/AIDS laboratory and demonstrable capacity to operate a CD4, hematology and chemistry automated equipment.
- He/she will have a minimum of 5 years working experience in a senior program management position in a reputable organization with demonstrable evidence of results.
- Must have strong technical, leadership, strategic thinking, networking, partnership, communication and advocacy skills for effective engagement of senior officials in public and private sector lab systems.
- Experience working in a USAID/USG/ PEPFAR environment.
- Research experience and publication will be an added advantage.