Purpose of the Position
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Operations – Lead and manage the support for Information Management Systems, ICT infrastructure, communication linkages and ICT staff capacity in the office to ensure that all UNICEF staff have access to the right information at the right time. Manage ICT capacity and provide the necessary ICT tools to support UNICEF Programmes and Knowledge Management initiatives.
Key Expected Results
1. Manage ICT Capacity and provide the necessary tools to support Programmes and Knowledge Management, through:-
- The use of appropriate technologies to support the smooth and effective delivery of UNICEF programmes.
- Availability of ICT resources to support Knowledge Management systems.
- Identifying ICT/Info Management tools to respond effectively to the above.
2. Manage the Country Office’s ICT function. Prepare ICT work plan and budget. Implement plan including:-
- Ensure all ICT infrastructure is fully supported.
- Establish and maintain Communications.
- Support ProMS, train staff, maintain data specifications, etc…
- Organize ICT training for staff.
- Establish and manage ICT Help Desk to serve all staff.
- Supervise introduction of upgrades to hardware, software and staff skills as required by ITD guidelines.
- Supervise ICT staff in the Country Office and Zone Offices.
3. Conceptualize, plan and co-ordinate ICT initiatives within the framework of the Corporate ICT plan for the Country Office, including:-
- Communications Network.
- ProMS technical support (including the Cognos reporting tool).
- Internet/Intranet strategy, in coordination with the Information/Communication Section.
- Establishment and running of the ICT ‘Help Desk’.
4. Monitor and prepare analytical reports for the use of the Country Office:-
- Progress on above.
- ICT capacity and needs for the office.
- Opportunities for cost sharing in the ICT area with other UN Agencies, in the CO and Zone Offices.
- Availability of ICT resources (training, procurement sources, consultants, etc…) within and outside the country.
- Identifying ICT/Info Management needs that are not properly addressed within existing initiatives or by ITD standards.
- Providing feedback on service delivery from ITD/HQ and ESARO.
5. System Design
- Work with Programme/Support Sections/Units, to assist them to identify their Info Management/ICT needs and advise them on the appropriate technology.
- Work with CMT and ProMS group to design oversight systems to cover the Country Office, as per ITD guidelines.
- Work with communication staff to facilitate their use of Internet/Intranet in their advocacy/communication work.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in information management or related field, or a first university degree and specialized training in computer science, information systems and/or Telecommunications, as below:
- Theoretical foundations of computer science with practical applications of software, database, network, telecommunications and systems development.
i) Specialized training in information systems technology, information systems concepts and processes, and organizational functions and general management. Postgraduate training in: information systems principles, database management systems, structured systems analysis and design; information systems project management; information systems planning and policy; operating systems; client/server applications and environment;
ii) Specialized training in telecommunications technology, management and policy with up-to-date coverage of the issues and trends. Postgraduate training in: management information systems; advanced programming; data communications and networks, computer networking, telecommunications management, telecommunications policy and environment; distributed information systems; information security and control.
- Eight years progressively responsible professional work experience in information management with increasing management-related content at national and international levels.
- Experience in planning and/or supporting the physical technical environment necessary for a field office to function.
- Fluency in English and another UN language.
- Knowledge of local working language of duty station is an asset.
- Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
- Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Adjusts team or department’s approach to embrace changing circumstances.
- Analyzes and integrates potentially conflicting numerical, verbal and other data from a number of sources.
- Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization.
- Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
- Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
- Sets clearly defined objectives and plans activities for self, own team or department.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.