The British Council in Nigeria is looking for suitably qualified and experienced individuals to join our team of IELTS Examiners.
Job Title: IELTS Examiners
- Examiners conduct one to one interviews with IELTS candidates to assess their spoken English according to set requirements.
- Examiners also assess written scripts produced by candidates under exam conditions.
- Examiners are recruited on a casual basis and are expected to examine at least ten sessions a year at regular intervals.
- Remuneration is paid per interview/script. Weekend working is usually required.
- IELTS examinations regularly take place in Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt. Therefore, we are looking for examiners who live in, or within relatively easy reach of these cities.
- We may occasionally run examinations in other cities in Nigeria.
- An undergraduate degree or a qualification which can be demonstrated to be equivalent to an undergraduate degree.
- A recognised qualification in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) / Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) / or recognised equivalent as part of a recognised university award course.
- At least 3 years full time (14 hours per week minimum or the equivalent part time) relevant TESOL/TEFL teaching experience (minimum one year post certificate level qualification). The majority of this teaching experience must relate to adult students (16 years and over).
The required professional attributes and interpersonal skills. See requirements pack below for details
Method of Application
- Read through the IELTS Examiner Minimum Professional Requirements & IELTS Guide for Examiner Applicants documents.
- Download and complete the application form HERE.
- Closing date for applications: Ongoing.
- Completed applications should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information about IELTS visit www.IELTS.org
**e.g. UK qualifications: CELTA; DELTA; Cert. TESOL; Dip. TESOL; PGCE; B Ed.; M Ed; MA Applied Linguistics. Assessed teaching practice and ESOL/EFL studies at cert. level must be part of the course.
Nigerian qualifications include:
Either, a Nigerian 1st degree, an NCE in ELT plus relevant teaching experience and IELTS 9.0. Or Nigerian B.Ed in English Language Teaching (transcripts verify course content), relevant teaching experience plus IELTS 9.0. A first degree plus a Nigerian PGDE or M.Ed/MA in TESOL or TEFL (transcripts verify course content), plus relevant teaching experience and IELTS 9.0. If shortlisted, you will need to submit a transcript of the teaching course you attended.