The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance.
It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles.
The ICRC’s Somalia Delegation in Nairobi co-ordinates the institution’s humanitarian activities in Somalia.
The Water & Habitat Unit carries out various projects in Somalia which include boreholes and wells rehabilitation and rain water catchment’s structures, as well as medical structures construction or renovation.
In the frame of its activities, the Somali Delegation in Nairobi is seeking a skilled and highly motivated person to fill the Hydro-Geological Engineer position.
- Have good knowledge about drilling system (Rotary & Hammer) and drilling machines, with the ability to decide whether a machine is well adapted to the geological formations passed through;
- Analyse samples of geological formation during the drilling process to define the right aquifer to reach;
- Supervise the drilling process and casings installation according to the technical documents provided and the real conditions on the field;
- Supervise a borehole development;
- Implement a pumping test;
- Calculate the right submersible pump according to the pumping test analysis and install the pump to the right depth according to the screen casing installation;
- Provide regular progress reports in English during the drilling process;
- Organize for and provide technical training and support to ICRC staff.
- Degree of Bachelor of Science in Hydro-geological Engineering or related field of work;
- Minimum of 2 years experience in implementing and supervising water projects (drilling supervision, submersible and/or surface pump installation for gravity distribution, etc…);
- Excellent computer skills (Excel, Word, any other interactive software);
- Good management skills of teams of workers.
- Experience in humanitarian work;
- Experience in supervising teams of workers on site;
- Ability to carry out technical assessments (such as pumping test, etc.).
- Flexibility and willingness to travel in various regions inside Somalia and ability to work in hardship areas;
- Good report writing and administrative skills,
- Ability to supervise and train staff;
- Excellent command of English and Somali languages.
Interested persons with the required background and experience are invited to submit their application to the Head of Human Resources on the below address or e-mail, on or before 25 June 2012.
Please include detailed curriculum vitae, current and expected remuneration and contact details of three referees.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification
International Committee of the Red Cross, Somalia Delegation, Denis Pritt Road, P.O.Box 73226, Nairobi, 00200, Kenya: E-mail:email@example.com