UNICEF Nigeria seeks the services of experienced Transport Assistant who will Under the General supervision of the Administrative Assistant GS 6, provide administrative support to the Field Officei n Lagos
Job Title: Transport Assistant, GS 5.
Vacancy number: VN-NGR-25-2012
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Duration: Two years
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the following duties
1. Manages overall travels/logistics activities in the Field Office by liaising with Abuja Country office and other field office locations to coordinate international and local travels through Lagos. Assists in preparing unit’s work-plan, monthly travel plan and budgets. Prepares schedules for allocation of drivers for inters and intra office use of vehicles and review all travel authorisations for action and follow up. Prepares travel claims Undertakes travel arrangements, (i.e., reservations, tickets, visas, vaccinations, hotels, note verbals, car hire service) and ensures administrative support as required.
2. Coordinates travel &logistics requests from otherUN Agencies and other emergency situations/protocol regarding travel assistance through Lagos. Maintains effective billing system cost recovery for services provided by B-Field Office to other UN Agencies under the common services agreement viz: airport pick up mileage, overtime for drivers and protocol staff, hotel reservation, passport/visa support services, MOPOL escort services, provision of MOSS compliant vehicles. Prepare quarterly recovery statements on amounts due from other agencies for Admin Asst’s review and follows up on receipt of payment.
3. Manages hotel reservation to meet office and partners’ needs. Analyze bills received from hotel for processing and maintains an accurate hotel data-base, carry out hotel inspection, review and negotiate rates.
4. Supervises Drivers, ensuring quality control, timeliness and efficiency. Responsible for evaluation and recording their performance (PERs) and prepares their key assignments. Prepares drivers duty roaster and monitors and certifies overtime schedule. Recommends award of non-award of safe driving bonus.
5. Assist in the collection of up to date information and maintains contacts with airlines, embassies and travel agents for issuance of tickets and visas. Drafts messages to other UN offices authorizing issuance of tickets. Advises staff on general administrative matters relating to visas, vaccination requirements of countries to be visited and ensures that application forms are completed correctly with accompanying material. Briefs staff/visitors/consultants on all up to date policies, MOSS compliance and procedures regarding official travel and local immigration policies.
6. Assists in preparing correspondences, special reports, e.g.billing schedule of protocol offered to staff members, local ticketing schedule, perform monthly TA closure, vehicle maintenance schedule. Evaluations and justifications, as required, on general administrative or specialized tasks.
Minimum qualification & competencies:
- Completion of secondary education.
- Five years of progressively responsible work experience in general office administration, especially in the areas of transportation management, travels and protocol arrangements. Experience in an international organization an asset.
- Fluency in English language is essential. Knowledge of one other UN working language an asset. Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is an asset.
- Computer literacy with database management, knowledge of spreadsheet and word processing required.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Excellent time management and organising skills.
- Good knowledge of administrative rules & regulations.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in an international and multicultural environment is desirable.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Initiative, passion and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
Method of Application
If you are interested in the position and meet the requirements, please send cover letter (one-page summary statement that describes how your experience and qualification relate to the job description) and a scanned/PDF copy of the completed and signed UN Personal History Form (which can be downloaded here) to email@example.com by close of business on Tuesday, 29 May 2012.
Please put the position title you are applying for on the subject line of your email.
UNICEF, a smoke-free environment, is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly women are strongly encouraged to apply.