UNICEF Nigeria seeks the services of experienced ICT Officer who will under the general supervision of the ICT Manager provide technical, operational and procedural support and end-user services in the implementation, maintenance and improvement of information technology systems, procedures and activities of the office, in accordance with the ICT workplan, consistent with the Country Programme Management Plan.
Job Title: Information, Communication & Technical Officer, NOB.
Vacancy number: VN-NGR-23-2012
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Duration: Two years
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the following duties
1. The productivity and effectiveness of the office work. Promote the productivity and effectiveness of the office by drafting and/or administering a relevant Information Management Plan and Budget, including computerization, telecommunications and records management, and by ensuring the appropriateness of local computing and telecommunications facilities to meet programme requirements.
2. The office’s integrated information technology integration Support the office’s information technology needs through seamless integration of UNICEF organizational computer applications (e.g. Programme Management System [ProMS], Finance and Logistics System [FLS]) with specific local office requirements.
3. Effective customer support and training Ensure effective customer support in the area of information technology and telecommunications by providing computer training as well as troubleshooting and ad-hoc technical assistance to users.
4. ICT resources management Provide accountability for information technology resources through accurate analysis and evaluation of office’s ICT needs, sound procurement, cost-effective installation and maintenance, maintaining software/hardware standards, and regular accurate inventory and reporting of hardware, peripherals and software.
5. The confidentiality, integrity and availability of the ICT system, LAN and data Ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the ICT system, LAN and data security, including user access to computer and telecommunications facilities. Monitor and support Inter-/Intra-net functionality, security and integrity.
6. The knowledge management Enhance knowledge management through coordination of office records management including systems for the acquisition, storage and retrieval of data; management of the local database capacity required using standard ICT database. Provide support to ensure the accuracy and accessibility of data sources.
7. Advice on ICT policies and guidelines Advise management and staff on correct interpretation and application of NYHQ ICT policies and guidelines in support of the office’s information management needs.
8. ICT competency gap analysis and competency building Assess the ICT competency requirements and gaps for the office and staff members. Plan and conduct ICT training programmes based on the gap analysis for all the staff for competency building of ICT function of the office.
9. Communication and Networking through coordination, collaboration and partnership
- Coordinate with relevant Government officials and UNICEF assisted projects to advise or coordinate on information management issues of joint interest.
- Collaborate with other ICT Officers in the Region to avoid unnecessary duplication and share systems development within the region and, via the Regional ICT Officer and HQ, with other regions.
- Team with other staff in the Operations Section as well as with technical programme staff in the development of local office ICT system requirements and for the resolution of ICT issues.
- Collaborate with all ICT personnel in all UN Agencies in country to ensure local country ICT services are fully utilized, beneficial and cost effective to UNICEF.
Minimum qualification & competencies:
- University degree or equivalent background in Computer Science, Information Science, Business Administration, Engineering, or related area.
- Two years of relevant professional work experience
- Field work experience
- Background/familiarity with Emergency
- Fluency in English language is essential. Knowledge of one other UN working language an asset. Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is an asset.
- Proven skills in communication, working with people and drive for result.
- Analyzing, planning and organising.
- Ability to work in an international and multicultural environment.
- Knowledge of computer systems and applications
- Initiative, passion and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
Method of Application
If you are interested in the position and meet the requirements, please send cover letter (one-page summary statement that describes how your experience and qualification relate to the job description) and a scanned/PDF copy of the completed and signed UN Personal History Form (which can be downloaded here
) to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on Tuesday, 29 May 2012.
Please put the position title you are applying for on the subject line of your email.
UNICEF, a smoke-free environment, is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly women are strongly encouraged to apply.