Adeso Vacancy Announcement
This is a re-advertisement and previous applicants should not apply
Organization: Adeso (African Development Solutions)
Position Title:Grants & Compliance Manager
Position Location: Nairobi
Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Reporting to: Regional Finance Manager
Working with: All departments (e.g., Program Quality; Human Resources; IT; Programs; Communication; Logistics), Regional Program Director, Country Directors
Starting date: Immediate
Application deadline: 21st May 2012
Vacancy contact: Please email applications to: email@example.com
Adeso, formerly known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African-based international organization, working with communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
Adeso has been strengthening rural livelihoods and delivering innovative humanitarian aid and development programs for the past 20 years.
Currently, we have programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan. Our present donor portfolio includes the European Commission, USAID, SIDA, and UNICEF, among others.
Adeso is an exciting, dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development
The purpose of this role is to work alongside the country teams and in close co-operation with the finance, procurement and human resources units to minimize operational risks in relation to Adeso’s project operations; specifically risks that arise from non- compliance with Adeso’s global policies and non-compliance with donor regulations.
The Grant and Compliance Manager will also perform on request investigations in relation to fraud, corruption and bribery and promote adherence to related policies.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
Donor compliance and Grant Management systems:
- Ensure full compliance with Adeso minimum operating standards for grant management and work with implementing partners when required.
- Implement and manage Adeso process for grant management, equitable cost recovery, grants close out and sub-grant management when required.
- Coordinate grant management between field based program staff, Nairobi and other offices.
- Work with Budget Holders and Finance Team to monitor all grant budgets to ensure compliance with donor requirements; review budget realignment and grant request; and also monitor expenditures to ensure compliance with budgets.
- Organise and participate in grant opening, mid-term review and closure meetings and develop, with support of the Country Directors, a mechanism to hold Budget Holders accountable for deviations from the grant contracts
- Act as a central point of organisational expertise on donor compliance requirements, ensuring that relevant staffs of all departments are informed of donor requirements; work closely with all departments to ensure compliance.
- Provide technical support to assess donor eligibility/allow ability of planned expenditures and identify related compliance requirements.
- In collaboration with the Regional Program Quality Manager, to maintain a reporting tracking system to ensure that responsible staff are aware of upcoming deadlines
- Verify that financial reports are coherent and adhere to donor and Adeso standards before submission.
- Ensure that all proposals, contracts and amendments with donors follow the internal procedures.
- Disseminate donor and Adeso standards to relevant personnel at the beginning of the process.
- Ensure that a checklist system is in place to analyse overhead and shared program costs and ensure that all aspects have been taken into account.
- Verify that proposals adhere to donor and Adeso standards and that narrative is cohesive with budget.
- Ensure Budget Holders, Finance Officers and field staff are provided with the information and training they require in order to understand donor guidelines, compliance issues and the Adeso grant management procedures.
- Conduct regular visits to field offices and project sites.
- Conduct internal audits of grants processes and protocols to advise Budget Holders on compliance levels in the field bases.
- Ensure key donors compliance checklists are available, provide orientation to Budget Holders and follow up on implementation.
- Provide capacity building to staff and provide guidance and technical advice where necessary.
- Ensure all budgets include the necessary funds for audit and that all grants are audited as per donor rules and regulations.
- Assist the Executive Director, Operations Director, Regional Program Director and Country Directors in responding to internal audit requirements.
- Contribute to the country strategic and operational planning and reporting processes.
Skills and Qualifications
Adeso is actively seeking a candidate who is committed to its mission and vision and dedicated to the achievement of its strategic plan.
For this position, the required qualifications are:
- University degree in financial management, business development or related field.
- Minimum 3 years experience of managing/coordinating the reporting, compliance and other contractual requirements of donor funded projects.
- Strong project management experience including proposal writing, M&E.
- Experience in budget management and knowledge of financial procedures.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with humanitarian guidelines and principles.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Proven ability to lead and work effectively with others to achieve results.
- Proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, powerpoint.
- Ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines, and handle stressful situations.
- Ability to stay and work in an isolated area in conditions of limited comfort.
- Experience in managing cash based interventions and/or agricultural projects in Somalia or a related fragile context.
- Experience in managing USAID projects.
Applications should be submitted by 21st May 2012.
All applicants must meet the essential requirements described above, and those unable to meet these requirements will not be considered.
No phone calls please.
Each application should include the following:
- Application letter stating why your skills and qualifications are suitable for this position
- CV (maximum 3 pages) detailing work experience and qualifications and current contact information
- Names of at least 3 professional with complete contact information
All applications should be sent to Adeso at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Grants & Compliance Manager”.
Submission of this information should reach Adeso by 18th May 2012.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.