UNICEF Nigeria seeks the services of experienced Education -GEP Specialists to work in the State Directorate of Planning, Research and Statistics (DPRS) of the state Ministry of Education (SMOE) under the guidance of the SPC.
Job Title: GEP Specialists- Planning & EMIS (3rd Party Consultant).
Vacancy number: VN-NGR-28 – 3- A- 2012
Contract Type: SSA
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the following duties
1. Assist in development of human and institutional capacities of State level Education Agencies, LGEAs/schools/centers to ensure effective and efficient use of EMIS systems in the delivery of education;
2. Provide continuous technical support in the implementation of SESP/SESOP and advocate using same to inform the formulation of annual education budgets and release of funds;
3. Provide technical support in the development of Annual Departmental Action plans to facilitate the implementation of SESP/SESOP;
4. Assist SMOE in collaboration with education agencies/stakeholders to undertake peer review/public expenditure review of education sector;
5. Ensure that annual budget preparations relate directly to the SESOP and include budget lines for SBMC and female teacher support that are clearly designated for specific state and donor financing;
6. Provide support (or arrange suitable support) for school mapping and State EMIS systems. Act as technical supervisor and liaise with NEMIS staff, ESSPIN TA and centrally appointed GEP technical experts to facilitate gender sensitive data collection and analysis;
7. Provide technical assistance to SUBEB and MOE EMIS officials on Annual School Census data collection, processing, analysis and dissemination of gender desegregated results;
8. Liaise with SUBEB EMIS officials to provide technical support to strengthen capacity of EMIS staff at the LGEA level;
9. Following the school mapping outputs, work with the LGEAs, GEC, SPC, SUBEB, SBMC consultant and State GEP committee to identify suitable schools for SBMC support;
10. Keep accurate records of GEP activities as appropriate in the SMOE.
11. Liaise with and between all bodies and institutions involved in GEP activities, including local and international development partners (including ESSPIN), and ensure the effective pursuit of relevant project targets and implementation of activities;
12. Support institutional capacity building within the DPRS including, where necessary, improving the functional state of government offices, and the facilities in them;
13. Pursue advocacy activities in support of improved Girls’ Education where possible and appropriate;
14. Produce regular monthly work plans and monthly/quarterly reports and submit to the Director DPRS, and to the SPC.
Minimum qualification & competencies:
- The candidate for this position must have a higher degree in Education or the physical sciences, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer science.
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience and must be skilled in the use of data analysis
- packages (Excel, SPSS, Access). Knowledge of SQL will be highly desirable.
Method of Application
If you are interested in the position and meet the requirements, please send cover letter (one-page summary statement that describes how your experience and qualification related to the job description) and a scanned/PDF copy of the completed and signed UN Personal History Form (which can be downloaded here)
by close of business on Thursday, 07 June 2012.
Please put the position title you are applying for on the subject line of your email.
UNICEF, a smoke-free environment, is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly women are strongly encouraged to apply.