UNICEF Nigeria seeks the services of experienced Education -GEP Specialists to work in the State College of Education (SCoE) under the guidance of the SPC.
Job Title: GEP Specialists- Learning (3rd Party Consultant).
Vacancy number: VN-NGR-28 – 3- C- 2012
Contract Type: SSA
Duration: 11 Months
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the following duties
1. Provide technical support for improved learning outcomes leading to improved retention and transition rates, in Primary, Junior Secondary and Senior Secondary Schools, and in non-formal education programmes;
2. Assist in institutional capacity development of SCoE to produce innovative strategies, courses and approaches that will improve the quality of teaching and learning in formal and non-formal schools/centers. These strategies should be girl-friendly and might, for example, include the use of child-to-child teaching and learning, child-adult and adult-child counseling and mentoring, building on and implementing the STUMEC/SbTD approaches and should be incorporated into the PRESET and INSET
activities of the SCoE;
3. Build institutional capacity within the SCoE;
4. Assist SCoE to mainstream gender issues and child friendly school principles in all teacher education courses;
5. Assist the SCoE to develop HR strategies and relate its work to the teacher development sections of the SESP, SESOP and the State SEEDS documents, particularly where they relate to SBMCs and WSDPs;
6. Assist the SCoE, in collaboration with the National Commission of Colleges of Education (NCCE) and National Teachers Institute (NTI), to produce and deliver relevant and gender sensitive PRESET and INSET curricula for the training of teachers using SbTD/STUMEC methods and materials;
7. Assist the SUBEB and LGEAs, in collaboration with the SCoE, to embark on capacity building for teachers/facilitators/non-formal education providers on Child Friendly Initiatives (CFI);
8. Support the SMoE, SUBEB and SCoE in the establishment of support systems to ensure more female teachers are trained, deployed and retained in rural schools. Assist in the set-up and smooth functioning of the FTSS scheme in the SCoE. Support the SMoE, SUBEB and SCoE in scale up of support and where necessary, subsidy systems;
9. Monitor and track the progress being made by the FTSS students in the SCoE and of FTSS graduates in schools and communities;
10. Act as technical supervisor for State teacher education activities (INSET and PRESET) and the training of Non-Formal Education teachers;
11. Provide support (or arrange suitable support) to SMoE and SUBEB in teacher education activities (INSET, PRESET). Explore methods to integrate SBMC and WSDP related skills in teacher education activities so that GEP capacity building approaches are mutually supportive;
12. Advocate and provide support to SMoE, SUBEB, LGEAs for initiating and implementing policies on appointment of inspectors, monitoring officers, school supervisors, head teachers, assistant head teachers and strengthen inspection systems for quality assurance;
13. Provide technical support in the conduct of spot-checks and Measurement of Learning Achievement in schools/centers;
14. Ensure that UNICEF protocols are used to resource project activities, and keep accurate and transparent accounts of all inputs and resource use;
15. Keep accurate records of GEP activities as appropriate in the SCoE;
16. Liaise with and between all bodies and institutions involved in GEP activities, including local and international development partners (including ESSPIN, Action Aid, Save the Children etc.), and ensure the effective pursuit of project targets and implementation of activities;
17. Where possible and appropriate pursue advocacy activities in support of Girls’ Education;
18. Produce regular monthly/quarterly reports and submit to the Permanent Secretary, Provost and SUBEB Executive Chairman through the SPC.
Minimum qualification & competencies:
- The candidate for this position must have a higher degree in Education.
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience as an education service provider.
- He/she must be a qualified teacher who has passed through most stages of teacher training.
- Skills in use of Microsoft office suites are a must.
Method of Application
If you are interested in the position and meet the requirements, please send cover letter (one-page summary statement that describes how your experience and qualification related to the job description) and a scanned/PDF copy of the completed and signed UN Personal History Form (which can be downloaded here) to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on Thursday, 07 June 2012.
Please put the position title you are applying for on the subject line of your email.
UNICEF, a smoke-free environment, is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly women are strongly encouraged to apply.