Save the Children is the leading independent organization creating real and lasting change in the lives of children in need in the US and around the world. Recognized for our commitment to accountability, innovation, and collaboration, our work takes us into the hearts of communities, where we help children and families to help themselves. We work closely with other organizations, governments, partners and local communities while maintaining our own independence without political agenda or religious orientation. Our priorities are to ensure that children in need grow up protected and safe, educated, healthy and well-nourished, and able to thrive in economically secure households.
Save the Children is seeking a Technical Director, based in Juba, who will provide technical oversight to ensure the delivery of evidence-based primary health care services (more specifically in the areas of maternal, newborn, and child health, family planning, malaria, HIV/AIDS, water and sanitation and nutrition) to a five-year USAID-funded health program in South Sudan. This large-scale integrated program, operating in two states of South Sudan, aims to improve service delivery through a minimum package of quality primary health care services, and increase community access to these services. Responsibilities include providing leadership and technical guidance in the development and implementation of integrated health activities under the leadership of the Chief of Party utilizing and contributing to cross-cutting approaches, such as performance and quality improvement, together with the project team. This position will ensure the technical and methodological soundness of activities and, in collaboration with the project team and partners, support the design of service delivery strategies, based on sound and current scientific evidence.
- Lead a technical team responsible for program intervention areas through technical and operational guidance and direct oversight to the program
- Ensure a technically sound, evidence-based approach to increase access to, use, and quality of primary health care services Oversee and contribute to the development of work plans/implementation plans
- Provide support in facilitating technical collaboration and coordination activities with the government, donor, and other NGO partners
- Contribute to the development of evidence-based, clinical training materials and standards, supervisory systems and other materials needed for implementation in relation to the technical health areas
- In coordination with team members, review or develop new products in specific areas of expertise including, but not limited to: maternal, newborn, and child health, family planning, malaria, HIV/AIDS, water and sanitation and nutrition
- Assist in the coordination of assessments and analysis of clinical service delivery issues that impede access to care, and the development and testing of appropriate strategies for a long-term, sustainable resolution
- Assist in the assessment of clinical training needs and in the design and implementation of appropriate measures to address those needs
- Keep the Chief of Party and project team informed of technical successes, challenges and lessons learned
- Represent Save the Children in professional forums by participating and presenting in pertinent meetings and conferences Assist with coordinating technical and program input from partners required for key activities; Work closely with external stakeholders, consultants and experts as needed.
- Oversee monitoring and evaluation of program activities in collaboration with M&E staff
- Continuously monitor and work with stakeholders and MCHIP headquarters to evaluate the technical assistance provided under this program
- Other duties as assigned
- Medical or Clinical Degree preferably, or Masters degree in Public Health required
- 10+ years of direct experience implementing community based child health, reproductive health or other communicable disease programs in a developing country (experience in sub-Saharan Africa preferred)
- 5+ years experience designing and implementing family planning, maternal and child health, malaria, HIV/AIDS, water and sanitation and/or nutrition programs
- Proven skills in program design, supervision, monitoring, evaluation and research skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex, multi-intervention health development programs in collaboration with national health ministries, international partners and local governorates
- Commitment to producing high quality project deliverables on time as well as within a highly time sensitive environment Prior experience and knowledge of USAID regulations and requirements
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- The ability to foster teamwork and to work as a team member
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills in English
- Prior experience working in hardship, challenging environments
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Demonstrated understanding of public health and integrated health activities, and working across multiple sectors
- Previous experience interacting with US government agencies, host country governments, and other global and national stakeholders
- Strong management skills and ability to manage a large team
Please note this position is contingent upon funding.
How to apply:
Qualified candidates should apply directly through our website at: www.savethechildren.org under the Careers page. EOE