APM Terminals is one of the largest container terminal operators in the world. The diverse portfolio includes substantial interests in more than 40 ports around the globe. We continue to actively develop and invest in new projects and opportunities in ports and terminal management. In terms of the future, we are determined to stay at the forefront of our industry by providing value-adding e-business solutions, customer relations management and innovative use of technologies.
APM Terminals commenced operations in Nigeria in March, 2006. Apapa is Nigeria’s largest port and contains a number of wharfs. To date, the staff comprises over 800 highly skilled and motivated foreign and local staff. We stand for operational excellence – from modern equipment, facilities, advanced technology and proven processes and terminal management. We are currently looking for an individual who share our commitment to providing services that are second-to-none.
Job Title: Internal Control and Procurement Manager (Lilypond Container Depot)
Responsible for purchasing of all inventory, supplies and capital goods for the company including negotiating price, delivery and credit terms. Evaluates vendors and determines most cost-effective inventory and reorder levels. To ensure that adequate controls are in place by achieving transparency in procurement policies. A key role is to advise senior management on effective strategies for purchasing materials and supplies and procurement procedures and reporting systems.
(IPE Factors: Impact & Innovation)
- Responsible for efficient purchasing of inventory, supplies and capital equipment for the company. Receives purchase requisitions and verifies for accuracy and authorization(s).
- Responsible for tender’s procedures, receiving bids, coordinates for committees; evaluating, assessing and selecting bidders based on capabilities and written criteria.
- Establishes and executes procedures for procurement policy in conjunction with CFO.
- Prepares and issues purchase orders; determines and negotiates prices, delivery and credit terms; buys according to established company policies and procedures; maintains accurate purchasing records.
- Responsible for evaluating, assessing and selecting vendors based on capabilities, performance and consistent quality assurance. Maintains rapport and good working relationships with vendors; keeps accurate vendor records.
- Evaluates inventory reorder levels and quantity price breaks to determine most economical purchasing of inventory and supplies in relationship to company’s cost of capital. Prepares monthly reports and reviews forecast of purchasing commitments with Vice President of Finance.
- Expedites purchase orders as necessary and ensures delivery of purchased items for uninterrupted manufacturing flow.
- Performs other purchasing or inventory control duties as necessary or as requested.
- Prepare contracts in collaboration with MIS department and Company’s legal counsel.
- Administrate, coordinate and cooperatively work with other departments, to resolve all issues relevant to the suppliers and vendors.
- Analyze and strive to maintain up-to-date knowledge of market trends, pricing, availability, and capacity, technology and supplier capability relative to the product or parts assigned.
- Assist subordinates in actively resisting any supplier request for price increase requiring the supplier to provide adequate documentation and justification to support such requests.
- Ensures that a proper inventory control system is in place to carefully monitor stock positions, reorder levels & obsolescence of stock
- Manages storekeeping functions from both a central & technical department perspective
- Supervises the daily requisitions from end user and checks the status of item requested.
- Keep stock on hand in order to minimize purchases.
- Ensures that adequate stocks of key components are maintained in the stores to ensure there is no downtime in operational activity due to lack of stock/spares
- The position is primarily expected to deliver by following specific company policies in the management of procurement activities while setting objectives for subordinated positions. The position is expected to deliver results in a timely manner as non delivery has a direct impact on the terminals ability to function
- The position is expected to constantly strive to improve inventory management methods & obtain best possible delivery prices from vendors
- The position has a direct impact on primarily the operational & financial aspects of the terminal & is therefore complex in nature.
(IPE Factor: Knowledge)
- Requires a college degree in business management, accounting, or related discipline. Some formal instruction in engineering or an engineering-related discipline helpful.
- Requires at least five to seven years of purchasing experience in private industry, preferably in shipping or transportation industry. In addition, must have at least three years of managerial experience, directing a purchasing staff of similar size and scope.
- Must have extensive knowledge of procurement practices and principles.
- Must have extensive knowledge of customs laws, rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Must have a working knowledge of managerial and leadership principles, with the ability to influence other management team members and lead a department of technically proficient individuals.
- Must have some working knowledge of engineering terms, drawings, and engineering specifications.
- Must have thorough understanding of software applications for purchasing.
- Must have strong experience in managing & using inventory control systems
- Must have demonstrated negotiation skills.
- Must be able to exercise sound business judgment in order to set direction and establish priorities.
- Requires verbal and written communications skills in English at the advanced level.
- Requires excellent analytical skills, including the ability to extract, compile and analyze data.
- Must be able to understand basic finance & accounting principles in order to control budgets & costs
- Cost/Price analysis skills
- Knowledge of contract laws, and conditions.
- Very high ethical standards
Method of Application
This position is a local position, based in Lagos, Nigeria and will remain posted until 12/Apr/ 2012.
Please apply through the online by click apply button below and ensure to upload/attach a recent CV. For all internal applications, please note that HR will contact your local HR to request for your staff card upon receipt of your application.