seeks the services of an experienced Education Officer who will under the supervision of the Education Specialist be accountable for professional technical contribution to education programmes/projects design, planning, administration, monitoring and evaluation, data analysis and progress reporting. Commitment for enhancement of gender-sensitive teamwork and capacity building, in support of achievement of planned objectives of the work plan, aligned with country programme goals and strategy.
Education Officer (Monitoring and Reporting) NOB, Abuja
Post Title: Education Officer (Monitoring & Reporting), NOB
Vacancy number: VN-NGR-07-2012
Deadline for application: 6 March, 2012
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the following duties
1. Programme/Project Management
Ensure the availability of accurate, complete and up-to-date information required for effective Education programme and project design, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation, including gender disaggregation. Draft sound Education programme budgets for review by the supervisor.
2. Project Efficiency and Effectiveness
Enhance project efficiency and effectiveness through implementation follow-on, including monitoring UNICEF inputs, local conditions and resources, flow of supply and non-supply assistance and Education project status.
3. Work Plan and Project Documentation
Analyze collected data and information and prepare progress reports including monitoring and reporting indicators by gender; draft changes in Education project work plans and assist in identification of required supplies and equipment as well as in the drafting of Country Programme Recommendation and other project documentation, assuring accuracy and consistency with established rules, regulations and plans of action.
4. Project Implementation Information and Data
Ensure the appropriateness of financial, administrative and supply documentation; verify that Education project expenditures are within allotments and that data is consistent with the project information and database (e.g., FLS, VISION). Follow up on queries or initiate corrective action on discrepancies.
5. Knowledge Sharing
Compile Education project implementation training and orientation materials to promote knowledge sharing with donors and media.
6. Communication and Networking Ensure the effective communication and networking developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration.
• Collaborate with Operations staff to implement internal controls systems and resolve day-to-day issues or discrepancies in financial or supply management.
• Team with local Government counterparts to exchange information on Education project implementation and status as well as movement and distribution of supplies.
• Supports coordination with members of the development community, including NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the exchange of information relating to Education sector.
Minimum qualification and competencies:
1. Education University degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Education; Primary Education, Economics, Social Sciences, or a field(s) relevant to international development assistance.
2. Work experience Two years of professional work experience at national and international levels relevant Education programmes. Experience working in the UN or other international development organization an asset.
3. Language Proficiency Fluency in English and local working language of the duty station. Competencies
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
• Integrity and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
• Communication, Working with People and Drive for result.
• Analyzing, Planning and Organizing.
• Learning and Researching
• Ability to formulate strategies and concepts
• Applying technical expertise
• Essential professional knowledge of Education/Basic Education programmes.
• Essential Technical Knowledge of theories, principles and methods in areas of: Education; Primary Education, Economics, Social Sciences.
• Gender and diversity awareness
• Leadership in identifying, encouraging and mentoring capable women.
• Knowledge of theories and practices in:Programme/project management in Education, Monitoring and Evaluation, Training and Capacity Development in Education , Alternative Basic Education, Curriculum Development and Knowledge Management
• General knowledge of:Methodology of programme/project management, Programmatic goals, policies and strategies, Knowledge of global education issues, specifically relating to children and women.
If you are interested in the position and meet the requirements, please send cover letter (one page summary statement that describes how your experience and qualification relate to the job description) and a scanned/PDF copy of the completed and signed UN Personal History Form (which can be downloaded here
) to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business Tuesday, 6 March,2012.
Please put the position title you are applying for on the subject line of your email
UNICEF, a smoke-free environment, is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.