Oando Plc is one of Africa’s largest integrated energy solutions providers with a proud heritage. It has a primary listing on the Nigerian Stock Exchange and a secondary listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
Job Title: Chief Electrician
Department: Rig Operations
Responsible for the installation, maintenance and repair of all electrical equipment onboard the rig.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate commitment to Company safety policies through leadership and guidance. Authority I
- Actively participate in weekly safety meetings and pre job meetings as required.Authority I
- Report any incidents, potential hazards or abnormal situations to the Electrical Supervisor or Maintenance Supervisor/Chief Engineer and other department heads. Authority I
- Prepare Job Safety Analysis for hazardous situations. Authority II
- Ensure a high standard of hygiene and housekeeping is maintained onboard the rig.Authority I
- Assist in reviewing and updating the current safety case in consultation with rig and shore-based management
- Meets the training requirements as per the applicable training matrix Authority I
- Mentor, develop and train crew members to ensure they are competent to work at their next job level. Authority II
- Ensure that all subordinates have the necessary skills and experience to fulfil their assigned tasks in a safe and efficient manner.Authority I
- Prepare annual performance appraisal for all subordinates. Recommend promotions or disciplinary action up to and including discharge.Authority I
- Supervise and guide crew members in their On the Job Training (OJT) program.Authority I
- Maintain discipline onboard and ensure compliance with Company disciplinary procedures
- Ensure daily inspections and maintenance on electrical equipment are carried out. Authority I
- Ensure that the permit to work system is in place and followed. Authority I
- Participate in the effective management of the Preventive Maintenance System (PMS) – ensure all records are maintained on a timely basis.Authority I
- Carry out periodic maintenance according to the PMS guidelines and coordinate same with supervisor and other department heads.Authority II
- Operate, maintain and repair power generation and distribution equipment, i.e. generators and engine controls, SCRs, switchgears, transformers, et cetera.Authority II
- Maintenance and repair general rig equipment such as HVAC system,refrigeration plants, power and communication systems, lighting, etcetera.Authority I
- Carry out maintenance and repair on electrical components of drilling equipment, i.e. Driller’s console, DC drilling motors and auxiliaries, Top Drive System, drawworks, mud pumps, et cetera.Authority II
- Carry out maintenance and repair on electrical components of marine equipment, i.e. thruster motors and auxiliaries, ballast pumps, control panels, cranes, et cetera. Authority II
- Perform and interpret power calculations, power factor, insulation tests, and positive relay tests as required. Authority I
- Study and understand electrical schematics and logic diagrams as required.Authority I
- Electrical Engineering degree or High school diploma. Work experience and demonstrated ability of oral and written communications may be substituted in lieu of formal education.
- Valid medical examination and vaccination certificates.
- Knowledge of all technical calculations required for electrical operation of the drilling unit and basic computer skills.
Definition of Decision Making Authority:
Authority I: To act.
Authority II: To act but inform supervisor and/or other interested parties.
Authority III: To obtain supervisor’s approval before acting.
Note: The above is not a complete list of duties but a guide as tasks and objectives can change on needs.