UNDP is recruiting Project Manager in Nigeria
Job Title: Project Manager
Location : Abuja, NIGERIA
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level : SB-5
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 26-Mar-2012
Duration of Initial Contract : Initial period of one year
Under the direct supervision of the International Project Co-ordinator (Anti-TIP and SOM) and the overall guidance of the UNODC Country Representative for Nigeria, the Project Manager will be responsible for technical advice and the day-to-day implementation of the project. S/he will work in close teaming with other colleagues to ensure full coordination between the various activities of the project and those of other partners, such as the International Organization for Migration (IOM), the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), and the National Immigration Service (NIS). S/he will assist with efforts designed to expand CONIG’s TIP and SOM portfolios.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provide specialized technical expertise to UNODC, NAPTIP, NIS, and other relevant agencies and partners on TIP/SOM matters
- Take a lead in and work closely with project partners in determining and implementing activities related to enhancing the capacities of law enforcement agencies, including NAPTIP, NIS, the Nigeria Police Service, and the Judiciary
- Ensure timely, efficient, and effective implementation of the project, especially in delivery of project outputs and outcomes
- Advise the International Coordinator and the rest of the CONIG team, as appropriate, on local considerations and realities for proper and effective implementation of the project
- Facilitate and take a lead in nurturing and creating appropriate fora/opportunities for project activities, including coordination activities with local counterparts that ensure that cultural, local, gender, and other sensitivities are considered and addressed effectively
- Oversee the day-to-day management and coordination of the project
- Follow-up, contribute, and ensure that all monitoring and reporting requirements are fulfilled, including narrative and financial reports
- Generally take a lead in implementation of various project activities, such as establishment of the coordination mechanism, implementation of the various assessments under the project, and development of the sectoral action plan against TIP and SOM, as envisioned in the project
- Create and implement a monitoring and evaluation system of project deliverables
- Document best practices and lessons learnt in a manner that can be shared and disseminated to various stakeholders and that provides gender desegregated information
- Deputize for the Coordinator for TIP and SOM and prepare and review various project reports as may be required
- Perform additional related tasks as may be assigned
Ability to provide substantive advice to key government actors on TIP/SOM prevention, enforcement, and victim support and protection matters; knowledge of and specialization in understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to law enforcement, organized crime; very good research and analytical skills; fully knowledgeable of programme management cycle, including monitoring & evaluation tools; knowledgeable of best practices as regards monitoring and reporting on results, in particular as regards capacity building; ability to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively, including ability to prepare reports, make presentations in a variety of fora; ability to conduct presentations by clearly formulating positions on issues, articulating options concisely, conveying maximum necessary information, and making and defending recommendations. Possesses excellent drafting and communication skills with proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to match style and format to audience.
Teamwork: Proven interpersonal skills and ability to establish, lead, and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Works collaboratively with colleagues within and outside of UNODC to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing other ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing: Able to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands; able to work on tight deadlines. Knows how to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and projects as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Critical Success Factors:
- Project activities are responsive to national requirements as well as cultural, gender, and local sensitivities and realities
- Effective and efficient project office
- “Value-added” by project activities will be evident and well documented
- Effective monitoring and reporting system will be implemented
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in law, criminology or relevant social or political areas with adequate focus on criminal justice issues.
- A first-level university degree in combination with 2 more qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive professional experience in law enforcement is 0
- required, together with demonstrated in-depth knowledge of human trafficking, migrant smuggling and related crime and social problems as they relate to Nigeria.
- Substantial experience in results-based management, training/capacity building, project monitoring, and reporting and evaluation is required.
- Matured experience in creating and nurturing appropriate relationships with senior level personnel from both state and non-state actors is required.
- Work experience in the United Nations System and/or a beneficiary institution would be an asset.
Language: Fluency in any UN (preferably English) and national language of the duty station.
Other Skills: Up-to-date knowledge and practical experience of United Nations programme policies and guidelines are desirable.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should apply online through the website by clicking on the Apply for this button. The system will prompt you to upload a CV on the next page.
Please note that instead of a CV you’re required to download the UNDP Personnel History Form (P11) from the following link by clicking HERE Complete it and upload when prompted.
Applications without a fully completed P11 form will not be considered. Only applicants that are shortlisted will be contacted.
The system will only allow for one attachment.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Categories: Jobs In Nigeria