AMREF is the largest indigenous health development non governmental organization based in Africa.
AMREF works with and through African communities, health systems and governments, and aims to close the gaps that prevent people from accessing their basic right to health.
With headquarters in Kenya, AMREF has programs in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, South Sudan and South Africa. Employing over 800 staff and with an annual operating budget of approximately $70 million, AMREF is a knowledge resource for donors and partners.
AMREF is seeking to fill the following positions for an anticipated USAID funded project.
The project aims at supporting integrated service delivery and addressing the social determinants of health primarily in the areas of HIV/AIDS, malaria, family planning and tuberculosis, MNCH, water and sanitation, and a number of interventions related to the social determinants of health.
Ref. No:- KCO/HR/081/2011
Stationed in Nairobi with occasional travel to project sites.
Purpose of the Job
To provide financial management services for the project spearheading financial management, control and forward planning for finances in line with the set project and donor guidelines.
- Act as the lead person within the project team for all financial matters and will be expected to liaise with the project team and other members of the finance department concerning all project financial issues.
- Consistently review the project finance needs on a regular basis and make recommendations for changes to ensure best practice and provide regular capacity building of finance skills to all existing and newly recruited staff.
- Supervise the preparation of accurate and timely monthly floats ensure clear internal audit trails as well as the preparation/maintenance of accounts for external audits.
- Work with the head of project and technical staff to develop and co-ordinate the annual work plan and budgeting process in compliance with donor regulations.
- Ensure that donor requirements, policies and procedures are met across the project as well as the timely preparation of cash top up requests to the project in collaboration with the relevant teams.
- Advise the project of any changes/developments in government policies, statutory and legal requirements in Kenya with regard to the finance function.
- Maintain an overview of AMREF policy, systems and procedures relevant to finance and ensure that developments are communicated and implemented appropriately through regular reviews.
- Ensure that the project effectively meets the financial planning, monitoring, and reporting needs of the donor.
- Advise project staff on donor contract requirements and provide training on financial management, record keeping, operational systems and policies.
Qualifications and Competencies
- The ideal candidate should have a minimum of Masters Degree in Finance/Accounts or its equivalent.
- Must be a CPA (K) or ACCA finalist.
- Over ten years of proven extensive, work experience in the field of finance.
- Financial experience in US Govt funded projects in an international non-governmental organization will be an added advantage.
- Proficiency in relevant computer applications.
- Experience in Sun Accounting System will be an added advantage.
- Posses well developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations.
- Good negotiation, diplomacy, communication, planning and coaching skills will be a requirement for this role.
These are challenging opportunities for dedicated and highly motivated professionals.
If you would like to join this dynamic team and help bring better health for Africa, please quote the position and reference number in the email subject matter, send your up-dated CV and an application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact details of three work-related referees, to the Human Resources Manager, AMREF in Kenya by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for submitting applications is 07th January 2012.
We regret that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
AMREF is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy